Thursday, November 19, 2009

What is the opposite of wroy@?

Nature has whimsical ways. Yoni and I agree that the most auditory person we know is our uncle and great uncle Roy. How we delight in chanting the do re me's of a certain Shubert quintet with him. Adam and I are hungrily, excitedly exploring the richness to be found in contradiction, the complementarity of opposites, the paradoxicality that births creativity. "I contradict myself. I am large. I contain multitudes". (Walt Whitman).
Our uncle wroy@, who has embodied contradiction for so many over the years, celebrates a cranky, vociferous, sincere, surprised, grateful 92 years today. In some ways, it's like turning 2, I imagine. You look around, not really getting what all the fuss is about. You live in the here and now, and other people see to your basics. The world is again a blooming confusion. But, in contradiction, at 92 I can imagine the richness of one's narrative. I imagine that life starts looking like Roy's photographs showing the startling geometries of nature, symmetries of seashell imitating spiral staircase, church spires mirrored in the chambers of an amethyst. I imagine a oneness presents itself. Wisdom with tantrums. Contradiction that inspires your children and your grandchildren and your greatgrandchild to.......to contradiction, of course. Because that is what creating is all about.
Happy Birthday uncle wroy@

No comments:

Post a Comment