Thursday, May 27, 2010

Packing for the Red Sea







Off to Eilat, for some deep sea snorkling in the Red Sea. Funny, packing so effortfully, imagining wardrobes, picturing myself in this bathing suit coverup, these sandals, this sunhat, just when Lil Blume has invited Jewish writers worldwide to submit to a collection of "Letters and Pictures from the Old Suitcase". This, for a conference in Hamilton, where I grew up. So many suitcases since Hamilton. Off on a midnight bus to the Red Sea tonight, with a small suitcase. But what did Miriam, sister of Moses, carry to the Red Sea? What did she carry through the Red Sea, crossing on dry land, crossing in faith, wonder, joy? While waiting for my bus tonight, I hope to vision Miriam's packing. Backpack? Skin of a lamb, dried and and wrapped around a few precious items? What did a slave girl own? One item I know Miriam carried: her tambourine. The necessities of life: a rhythm instrument to stir the women to wonder and rejoice, at the miraculous arrival, feet dry, safe and sound, on the other side of the Red Sea, the sea where I will go snorkling, in my bright yellow bathingsuit with the turquoise, yellow and pink coverup, and turquoise goggles, carefully packed in preparation for wonder. Oh, and a tambourine.

No comments:

Post a Comment