Saturday, April 9, 2011

Tzimtzum

Tzimtzum is a fundamental idea in Kabbala. It's an attempt at answering this big problem: If Ceaseless Creativity, (or whatever you call that which created all this physical world) is a oneness that fills all the given space, how was there room for anything else? A good problem. Tzimtzum suggests that the oneness contracted and made room for a physical world. Anyway, tzimtzum is what I'm trying to do until Pesach: contract my footprint by sorting through all my clothes and papers. But I just arrived at Matzah Ball's Law. You see, Pesach is the time when we unleaven ourselves, theoretically. Make ourselves flatter, like matzah compared to bread, reduce our egoprint on the world. But wouldn't we fill the space with matza balls and bubelah. And here's me, instead of throwing anything out, I'm prancing around in clothes I had forgotten, and delighting in poems scribbled on napkin corners. Tzimtzum? Maybe someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment