Friday, December 30, 2016

Shabbat Chanukah 2016

Just delight. Laughing together with Adam in the deep of night, after the Shabbat candles have flickered down to dark, and the last of tonight's seven proud Chanukah candles have given way to one tiny lingering flame that lasted and laughed and waved gently in the dark room and was gone. I cannot simply get used to Adam being here beside me. Miracle means you never just say of course. I cannot simply get used to these dear Friday nights with Mommy and Daddy, moules frites tonight, and since that is a dish they serve in Brussels, of course Brussels sprouts. There. I can say of course. Of course I can. Let 2016 flicker down to its quiet end tomorrow night, singing of course these beautiful times will last forever. Of course the circle of the year. Of course the snowdrops will miracle their brave way through icy earth again. Let me trust this good earth just enough to make promises and take on resolutions for the coming year. And let me always, always, be astonished.

No comments:

Post a Comment