Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Educating the Creativity Out of Children?

Never! The kids who come to me have free reign, to invent worlds and to fly in them. I must listen to Ken Robinson again. I recall that he said the school system was constructed for the industrial revolution, to mould kids into good assembly line workers who didn't glance to the left or to the right but kept their eyes on the task at hand. There was one right way to do things. Do it that way and you get the marks. No sirreee. None of that in my speech room. I always have a plan in place. And I jump for joy the moment the kid tells me that he was at the skating rink and heard, "Ice Clean". All puckered up for two scoops of chocolate ripple and vanilla, what a disappointment when the ice cleaning machine came out on the ice. That was not the story I had planned for today. I love when the session takes its own wings, and I am learning things I never thought of before.

No comments:

Post a Comment