Tuesday, January 3, 2017

I'll See It When I Believe It

I know. I know. I've got it backwards. Everybody also corrects me when I say "Invention is the mother of necessity". You have it backwards they say, but don't you see, they invented the iPhone and now we can't be off duty for a minute. I'm thinking of our canoe trips, two weeks away from any contact with the human world. And my year away at school overseas. One telegram, when plans for a family visit changed. Not a single phone call. Now......Invention is the Mother of Necessity. Today's seemingly backwards notion is "I'll see it when I believe it". Mostly people think, show me the convincing evidence and then I'll believe it. But in real life, that's not the place belief comes from. Other ways of saying this are, "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are" ( ".... we see things as WE are" is attributed to a character in an Anais Nin novel who credited the Talmud. A woman saw the River Seine as silky and lovely, her partner painted it muddy with corks and garbage floating in it. "Lillian was reminded of the Talmudic words, "We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are". )
and
"You can ask the universe for all the signs you want, but, ultimately, we see what we want to see when we are ready to see it". Now, think of what this means to an educator or a therapist. "If a child can't learn the way we teach, we should teach the way they learn". That goes for all of our encounters. First meet the person where he or she is. And then journey together as partners.
       Our title here comes from Wayne Dyer's book, "You'll Believe It When You See It". Also, deliciously, from Wayne Dyer,  "When you dance, your purpose is not to get to a certain place on the floor. It's to enjoy each step along the way"

No comments:

Post a Comment