Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Do you sleep at night?



Adam asked if I've been sleeping. Seems some of the young men carry the weight of knowing that their moms are sleepless, not functional at times like this. I assured him that, though I think about him constantly, have my hand on my cellphone round the clock, ready to hear from him, I sleep well and I trust entirely. It doesn't take religion to conceptualize an organizing principle that balances the canoe.
"He who makes Himalayas and butterflies' wings knows His stuff. Let him take the paddle for awhile.
My best image for this is the bedtime Shma, a declaration not only of the unity, the oneness, the interrelatedness of all things. Beyond this, in the bedtime Shma you are saying to whatever organizing principle, whatever energy, whatever "Good Organizing Direction" is acting, "I know you're up all night, steering. Over to you. I trust you. Why should both of us lose sleep?"

No comments:

Post a Comment