Saturday, April 18, 2009

First, the Beauty

Why plant bouganvilleas on the roof today, I thought to myself. This is the time to do more serious things. And then I recalled the story of Fania, in the book about Kibbutz Yad Mordecai. I am dazzled to discover what I always really knew, that Mommy's Uncle Moshe and Aunt Golda from Poland first started their kibbutz right here in Netanya, by the sea. A woman in their group, Fania, was assigned the job of making it beautiful. Some of the early kibbutzniks poo pooed the idea of flowers as too bourgeous, too frivolous at a time when basic sustenance and self defense were priorities. Fania knew that beauty does not wait. You weave beauty, now, through your work and your worry and your saving up for better times. Beauty's time is Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment