Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A Kiss on Your Elbow and a Gezint Auf Dein Kop

Thank you Mommy. Let's all, whatever we cook in the next few days, receive a blessing and a hug from the person who first cooked it for us, the person who gave us the recipe, the person who used to feed us this food when we were small. When my Mommy makes matzah balls, her own mother Sura Etele (may her memory bring us laughter and a hundred stories) stands at her elbow, guiding her and filling the kneidlach with history and with taam. When I make my charoset this year, I'll chop and stir with my sisters. When I make my kneidlach, Mommy will stand at my elbow, with Buby at her elbow. And when I take my first bite of matza (Let's all do the tradition of a silent time over the matza, so all you can hear is the crack and chomp of 40 generations eating the poor bread, the bread of affliction, the bread of survival, the bread of continuity, let all who are hungry come and eat) Yes, when I take my first bite of matzah this year, I'll crunch in time with my mother's mother's mother and her mother's mother's mother, in one long long seder table reaching all the way to Miriam and the women who danced with her, that first windy moment at the shores of the sea.
KNEIDLACH
Beat until fluffy 2 rounded tablespoons schmaltz
and 2 eggs
Add 1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup warm water
Add 1/2 to 3/4 cup matzo meal to make a thick paste
Refrigerate for several hours. Roll into 1 inch balls and boil in salted water. Serves 4 to 6 people.

No comments:

Post a Comment