Thursday, July 9, 2009

Am I a Spiritual Being in a Physical Garment?



I'm interested in what's more "real", the idea or the thing.
Am I a physical body with a spirit, or a spiritual being in a physical garment? Meaningless and dualistic, to split the physical and the world of ideas, in this way. But fun. Tzvi Freeman writes, "There are not two forms of matter, the physical and the spiritual. Rather, to each thing there are two faces, the more tangible and the more abstract. Our senses and perception grasp that which is tangible and we call it 'physical'. Our mind's eye is able to grasp the more abstract, each according to his level."
Who said, "I woke up this morning from dreaming I was a butterfly. Or....am I a butterfly who is right now dreaming he is a man?"
My uncle Izzie talked about poem-writing as gilding the lily, and I responded to him,
A real poem, I think,
presents the lily to you,
right there on the page:
fragile petal,
a slight powdering of pollen,
dew.
Poempetals wait there
word on page
in closed books
or whispered on computer screens,
until you open the page
again.
Unlike the lily itself
which was too full of cells,
of water,
of living,
to last,
a real poem
waits
and is there for you
when you come to it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment