Thursday, December 4, 2008

One

14 Rockets Pound South Israel.
I'm baffled that the Israel I see, as far as my eye can see up and down the coastline, looks tranquil, playful, sunny, beautiful. I don't see rocket attacks. I not yet learned to be fearful in this place. I try hard to feel anything other than exhilarated by my sea run, by the sheer beauty of this place, and for a moment I feel Israel as One. My toes are receiving rocket attacks, and I am just paying attention to the top of me. It is as easy to say, "Oh that's far away. It doesn't touch me", here in Israel, as it is in Canada. You read the Globe, and you say, "I'm glad I'm not there". I am trying to understand a teaching,
"What is the difference between kindness and compassion?
Kindness gives to another.Compassion knows no "other"."
I want to practice knowing that there is one Israel. That if you pinch my toe, all of me feels it. I want to practice Shma.

No comments:

Post a Comment